Sunday 9 November 2014

Good stuff: Links & likes


The deadline for sign-up to my Thrifty Christmas Gift Swap is fast approaching - email me by next Sunday to take part.

I was initially skeptical about this article on fictional characters who should have had abortions but actually I can't disagree with any of them. Lane Kim did deserve more than she got on Gilmore Girls. And a hearty "Hells yeah," to the inclusion of every Thomas Hardy heroine, ever.

And while we're on the subject, I agree with everything in this powerfully argued piece.

Here's Sarah being characteristically brilliant in her post: Ten blogging rules you can break

Nova alerted me to this, about misophonia (or, hatred of the sound of people eating). I have this pretty badly so it was an interesting read.

Lindy West being brilliant in The Guardian : "being fat and happy and in love in public is still a radical act".

Also on the topic of larger bodies, I enjoyed this piece about how hourglass figures have become an 'acceptable' form of fat. This actually goes a long way to explaining to me why I have no problems with being body confident despite being a size 16: I'm lucky enough to have a pretty classic hourglass figure.

And on the flip side of body policing, Keira Knightley recently said some pretty cool stuff about Photoshop, small boobs and body ideals.  

5 comments:

  1. Aw, thank you! Love the Keira Knightley comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really started to (grudgingly - I'm still not a fan of her acting) like her recently, she's said some really smart, cool stuff. And she's a feminist!

      Delete
  2. I cannot express how much I love you for the link to the misophonia article. I hate, hate, hate the sound of people eating. My ex used to chew gum if he couldn't brush his teeth after eating and I HATED it with a fiery passion. The sound of it just gave me the rage. See also my colleague that chews with her mouth open, and my mum, who rings me on her lunch hour and doesn't understand that I can't stand the sound of her eating and swallowing down the phone. ARGH.

    Snoring, and the wierd popping noises people make when they're asleep comes a close second. Urgh.

    Ahem. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've hung up on people who eat down the phone at me: just NO! I live in fear that one day I'll snap and hurt someone for the terrible crime of eating near me, so great is my rage. My poor boyfriend has to eat in another room unless we're eating together, in which case I can cope (just!). My other sound issue is nails being filed, I cannot bear it.

      Delete
  3. The misophonia thing - I'm so pleased I finally have a name for it! I have nearly had to scream at my Mum for eating when she's on the phone to me and I sit 2 desks down from someone who eats outrageously loudly. I have to get up and move my laptop elsewhere because I can't physically stand the sound of it. It makes me angry and sick all at the same time!

    Also felt very very strongly about the New Statesman piece - it's absolutely brilliant.

    ReplyDelete